Director: George Lucas (A New Hope), Irvin Kershner (The Empire Strikes Back), Richard Marquand (Return of the Jedi) Cast: Mark Hamill, Harrison Ford, Carrie Fisher, Billy Dee Williams, Peter Cushing, Alec Guinness, Anthony Daniels, Kenny Baker, Peter Mayhew, David Prowse, Ian McDiarmid, James Earl Jones (voice – uncredited for A New Hope & The Empire Strikes Back), Frank Oz (voice), Jeremy Bulloch, Clive Revill (voice), Kenneth Colley, Julian Glover, Michael Sheard, Sebastian Shaw, Denis Lawson, Tim Rose, Michael Carter, Caroline Blakiston, Warwick Davis, Larry Ward (voice – uncredited)
A New Hope (1977)
Academy Awards: Best Art Direction-Set Decoration; Best Costume Design; Best Sound; Best Film Editing; Best Visual Effects; Best Original Score (John Williams); Special Achievement Award (Ben Burtt for Sound Effects)
Also Nominated For: Best Picture; Best Actor in Supporting Role (Alec Guinness); Best Director (George Lucas); Best Original Screenplay (George Lucas)
The Empire Strikes Back (1980)
Academy Awards: Best Sound; Special Achievement Award (for Visual Effects)
Also Nominated For: Best Art Direction-Set Decoration; Best Original Score (John Williams)
Return of the Jedi (1983)
Academy Awards: Special Achievement Award (for Visual Effects)
Academy Award Nominations: Best Art Direction-Set Decoration; Best Sound; Best Sound Effects Editing; Best Original Score (John Williams)
I First Saw In: c. 1994
Synopsis: The chronicle of three heroes who aid the Rebel Alliance as they combat the evil Galactic Empire.
Did You Know?
- James Earl Jones specifically requested not to be credited for providing the iconic voice of Darth Vader, because at the time he was still an up-and-coming actor and did not want to be typecast.
- George Lucas was so taken with Frank Oz’s performance as Yoda that he spent thousands on an advertising campaign to get him an Oscar nomination for Best Supporting Actor. But the campaign failed as the Academy felt that a puppeteer wasn’t an actor. Lucas felt this was unfair to Oz.
- It took six people to operate the life-sized animatronic of Jabba the Hutt.
- A New Hope: OBI-WAN KENOBI: You’ll never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
- The Empire Strikes Back: LUKE: I don’t believe it.
YODA: That is why you fail.
- Return of the Jedi: EMPEROR: And now, young Skywalker… you will die.
And now a Word from the Guise:
I was about 5 the very first time I ever watched the Star Wars trilogy. This was eleven years following the release of Return of the Jedi. I’ve watched these movies countless times, but I had never had the chance to see the original trilogy on the big screen until today. It was such a surreal and amazing experience. It would have been better had the theatre showed the original theatrical versions of the film instead of the pointlessly remastered ones. Nevertheless, it was still a once-in-a-lifetime experience to marathon all seven episodes. Out of the original trilogy, Return of the Jedi is my favourite, mostly because of the Emperor in all of his evil glory.
Oscar Madness Ranking – ??? out of 233